How to increase the likelihood that you will create quality content, and continue to do so when things get busy?
This was the question I posed in yesterday's post, after explaining the impossibility for consultants to outsource or delegate content creation. Building visibility and creating demand are directly linked to your ability to share insights and communicate your expertise to others. And to do this consistently.
After working with +100 solo consultants and consulting firms, the answer is simple: commit to activities that you enjoy, and are a good fit for your unique talent and personality.
Doing something you enjoy greatly improves the probability that you will do these activities well, and keep doing them regardless of how busy your calendar is.
Below is a short list of initiatives that will generate visibility and some kind of content for your business, divided into categories of interest.
If you enjoy writing:
- Write posts for LinkedIn or Twitter threads
- Write a regular blog and email newsletters
- Write a personal niche blog for industry insights
- Write articles for publications
- Write white papers
- Write press releases
If you enjoy speaking:
- Speak at trade associations
- Speak at industry conferences
- Start or become a guest on podcasts
- Lead online webinars or workshops
- Start a personal Youtube channel
- Host breakfasts and lunches at hubs
- Teach at a local university or online community
If you enjoy one-on-one interaction (document the activities and learnings):
- Facilitate networking events
- Run a monthly exclusive event for your clients and prospects
- Be present at physical hubs of clients (ex. incubators, accelerators)
- Become actively involved in a local trade association
- Take on pro-bono projects for non-profits
- Mentor or coach younger professionals
If you enjoy product development:
- Create and promote a self-paced online course
- Create and promote a cohort-based online course
- Curate insights and turn them into an online magazine or recurring publication
- Write and self-publish a book that speaks to your audience
I'm sure you can think of many other ways to create content and increase visibility - my complete list has over 100 different tactics.
Putting initiatives in practice is simple, but not easy. Here's how to do it:
- Pick only one or two of them.
- Add them to your marketing engine tracker, with respective goals and KPIs.
- Incorporate them into your workload by pre-committing time in your calendar.
Your value as a consultant lies in your expertise. Communicating it in any kind of content format is the best way to effectively leveraging you and your firm. Start today, and it will change the trajectory of your consulting business forever.